RE: [LUG] Thread linux?

| My reading of this was that RedHat linux was called RedHat
| linux, but that
| anyone else who downloaded RedHat linux and sold it on
| couldn't call it
| RedHat linux? Or am I reading that the wrong way round,
| because it looks as
| if Thread Linux is actually RedHat linux as sold by RedHat!
|
| Don't forget it's Friday afternoon so I may well have it all
| wrong! :-)

I have been following this issue quite closely recently.

With effect from the release of 7.3, Red Hat are placing a restriction
on resellers.  Since all the stuff is GPL or somesuch they cannot
prevent the redistribution of Red Hat as such but they insist that the
name Red Hat is not attributed to anything other than a boxed product
from them or a reseller.

You will notice that the Linux Emporium site has gone to great lengths
to include the registered trademark symbol recently every time the words
Red and Hat appear together.

`Thread' is obviously an anagram of Red Hat and intended as a joke.

Not sure where any of this lies legally but as long as the software is
free I can`t see any particular problem with them requesting that people
do not trade under their name - opinions will vary here.

MB