Mandrake 8.1 Mouse was .... Re: [LUG] Crossover Office

lee quick wrote:

Yay got it to work now have Office 2000 on my KDE toolbar!

Been browsing with internet explorer on the linuxformat site (big smirks)

Hmm, reminds me of something someone said about elephants
walking on their hind legs.

Emulations and rehashing interfaces rarely produce good
solutions, Word Perfect for Unix was a classic example.

I've just installed Mandrake 8.1 download edition (I've had the
CD for months but somehow never got around to trying it), and
was just admiring the bundled KWord, simple but all most people
need in a word processor.

"Quanta plus" looks like the kind of HTML editing tool I could
come to love, if I'm ever mad enough to try writing substantial
amounts of HTML (unlikely).

I ought to write a proper review for the site. Although I think
the one CD download edition is probably going to be unfairly
compared to the umpteen CD SuSE Pro edition - like where is the
'Wireless Tools' rpm?

Anyway quick question - my mouse died.

Mandrake 8.1 loaded and the mouse and Xfree86 worked out of the
box, hardware support looks really good, the tape driver worked
when I loaded relevant modules, no kernel fiddling, the wireless
lan worked when I built the wireless tools and created the
/etc/sysconfig/pcmcia settings. Although I've still to master
one or two subtleties of the PCMCIA start up (Some module

However on booting once I tried interactive mode (Held down
'i'). It ran Kudzu and DrakConf (I think), and somewhere in one
of those screen it told me it was doing something to my mouse
configuration, and it has never worked since.

The device files look okay for the mouse - I've run 'gpm' and
'mev' against the relevant com port and nothing - zilch - just a
dead mouse.

mouseconfig runs but nothing happens when I try and test it.

Any idea what I might have done? Sure it is simple, but it is
eluding me today.

Simon

PS: The Kmail with 8.1 Mandrake does have IMAP4 support, so it
did come in on KDE 2 sometime. I can't figure out how to do LDAP
support in this version of Kmail though. Ximian however looks
like it will support my mail needs - so I'll see how it compares
to Netscape 4.x, or try a later Kmail if I can find one. I still
think Kmail is more what I want in a mail client, Ximian is
overkill, and too much like Outlook, it'll be sending copies of
Klez out next ;)

PPS: All this to run GNU Chess on freechess.org ;)