Re: [LUG] Redhat 7.3 is released

John Horne wrote:

On 06-May-2002 at 18:42:56 Pete Hatton wrote:
     Sendmail  and  Postfix message transfer agents (MTAs) with switching
   tool

Interesting...'switching tool'? Is that the same as stopping one and starting
the other?? :-)

Lord no, the average drop sendmail replacement configuration
requires you to backup the old sendmail executables, and replace
with similarly named Postfix ones.

You also have to modify the old Redhat sendmail start up script
to issue "postfix stop" on stopping, as whilst the drop-in
postfix will start from the old sendmail start up script, it
doesn't stop it.

It is all of two minutes work when done manually ;)

I bet the switching tool can't interpret sendmail config files
and write the master postfix config file ;)

I disapprove continuing to bundle sendmail might fool people
into carrying on using it. I guess it is supplied for backward
compatibility.... Time for random quote from my backward
compatibility list....

Backward compatibility is why September is the ninth month not
the seventh.