Re: [LUG] X-windows problems (rant)

Kai Hendry wrote:

320 RAM? A P200 is quite slow for running X. I hate seeing novices recycling machines with linux and putting X on it. New machines are really quite cheap. IMO it puts Linux in a bad light when people see something like X+KDE for the first time on a struggling pentium. Win95 is honestly better. :/

Old machines are great for testing out the dark(console) side of linux.
mutt, irssi, vim and various services. :)

</rant>

-Kai

Ah but the other side of the coin can be just as bad! I run linux on New hardware and it too can be just painful, not due to a lack of speed but linux struggling to keep with the hardware!
My opinion go to the suse hardware database and build a system around known quantity's!
It makes for a much less stressful life :)

P.s A p200 running X with say Blackbox or fwm2 should be quite responsive and useable
(end rant).