Re: [LUG] X-windows problems

jody salt wrote:

I can't seem to configure the X-windows server it
finds my vga card no problem I then have to do a
custom set up for my moniter (I try selecting a low
resolution 640 by 800, I then test it; it looks ok for
a few seconds then I get black boxes were it does not
seem to quite refresh properly in some areas of the
screen (it is quite explain).

Okay first stab would be try the "X -configure" as it is often
better than many of the other tools to do the same.

Make sure you know which XF86Config file it is using. I think
/etc/X11/XF86Config is default with Redhat 7.1, back that up
first, stop X (you might have to comment out the line in
/etc/inittab and init q), and then start with the configure
option. It writes the file to the use home directory i.e.
/root/XF86Config, but I find it easier just to move the file
straight to /etc/X11 than muck around with lots of copies of
XF86Config is stray directories.

Has any one had similar problems, or a solution to my
problem?

What Graphics card do you have?
What driver is it using?
What does it say in the XF log file in /var/messages

Have you looked up your card on the XFree86.org website?

Many drivers need options (often noaccel) to work properly with
a particular card.