Re: [LUG] re LUG Graphics cards

Paul Sutton wrote:

no sure,  the reason I my upgrade (when funds permit) is that sometimes when
the machine boots up the screen is full of small horizontal lines,  it still
works  but this just looks dodgy as soon as say the windows or suse / lilo
bootloader appears it' ok,  not sure if it's a sign the card is dying. it
works great in suse 8 however a few of the games like racer complain about
3d not enabled, but i need to read a few docs,  want to get the host not
found thing fixed first.  but yes if you are interested we can arrange
something,  also upgrading to faster card will allow games to run better as
even with 3d accelaration fixed 16mb is small amount of memory for games to
use.

not sure when i will  be upgrading though,  if i remember i will mail you
otherwise will just post to the group.

paul

The symptoms you describe above paul are classic Banshee about to die syndrome!
I have seen similar with the 12meg pci voodoo2 card's also.
The lines appear/disappear and can be coloured blue/purple i experimented with a banshee and it seems the chipset is ok (despite severe heat stress),but it's the ram that suffers.
At some point (probably when you least need it) the poor ole card will go into meltdown the lines give way to massive screen corruption which is colourful but bloody annoying.
Recommend replacment as soon as poss.