Re: [LUG] always bugged me - default clipboard action

Alex Charrett wrote:

Console and X mouse behavior are controlled by different systems, I very
much doubt that either is a kernel issue.

It may however be hard-coded into the gpm(console mouse services) or
XFree code.

It's definitely nothing to do with the kernel, the closest it
comes to knowing about mice is the mouse drivers, but that is
down at the "mouse moves so much to the right" or "left mouse
button clicked".

At the console it is gpm that provides a mouse at all.

In X each application places selections in PRIMARY, and middle
mouse button defaults to pasting primary. This isn't really a
clipboard as such, and is cooperative as far as I know, so you
can write apps that don't do it (Not being able to cut and paste
between apps is a security requirement in some environments -
you can get too paranoid).

I don't recognise precisely the behaviour described. Having a
three button mouse nothing requires two mouse buttons together,
or a double click, other than the "two click - highlight a word
- three click highlight a line".

Highlighting a word copies it to primary - usually
control-C/Control-V copy to a genuine WM clipboard - maybe Kevin
should check out the various clipboards for X, KDE, GNOME etc.
xclipboard is a bit naff, but hey it works.

--
"Don't get me started on intuitive. You know what's intuitive?
Fear of heights. Everything else we call intuitive, such as