[LUG] KDE 3 sound server.

A freind of mine downloaded the rpms to upgrade to kde3 on mandrake 8.2 and
I installed today.
If I log in as a normal user using KDM I KDE3 starts up but logging in as
root starts up kde2.

KDE 3 dosn't appear in the menu but shutting down X altogether & then typing
KDE3 as a command will start the new version ok.

In either case the soundserver won't start up. I get a message that says kde
fails to autodetect the sounddevice and do will disable the soundserver &
use a null device. I can still use any program that uses sound though. Even
kde programs such as kmidi.

The odd thing is though that kde2 is still present on the system & when that
starts up the sounserver starts up no problems at all.

In kde3 the soundserver is set to autodetect. I've tried disabling it & then
restarting it but still the same error message.

Anyone else had any other problems upgrading or got any ideas.

Ray Smith
---