From: "David Barker" <D.R.Barker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 18, 2002 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [LUG] OpenSource Day

Hi there - I'm afraid nick's away for a while, so I suppose I'll have to
do as
a slug representative ;)

I can only confirm a few things, but we're open to ideas:

We'll be able to provide demo's of Jabber, on multiple desktops with
multiple
clients (WinXP & a few windows clients will even be there if I can
convince
someone that it's safe to bring a MS box to an open source day ;)

We're going to get our machines there so we can demo different desktops,
etc
etc - I think the current mixture includes an SMP mandrake 8.2 box with
kde
3, a slack 8.0 box with enlightenment/gtk , a slack 8.0 box with kde 3, a
debian box. (I might bring along my old sparc station for use as an XDMCP
terminal if anyone thinks its a good idea) These boxes can be used to
demonstrate almost anything - we have a copy of StarOffice 6 final linux
edition thanks to mandrake, which people might want to take a look at.

We can also show off Unreal Tournament, Quake III, Wolfenstein and a few
games
under winex (eg Half Life, Max Payne) on one or two of these boxes.

An idea that's been floating about as well - if people want to bring in
laptops with plenty of free space & an ethernet adapter, we will probably
be
able to supply mirrors of some of the major distros ;)

I asked Mandrake a while ago if they'd be able to send us anything - they
seemed to think they'd be able to get posters, and few download edition
CD's
to us, but I haven't heard anything from them in about a week, so I'll try
and chase them up soon.

I can't think of anything else atm - any other ideas?

Dave
:)