Re: [LUG] programming question

Perl is mostly the best tool for the job :)

Hmm, I'm getting quite partial to TCL, mainly because if I really get
stuck trying to construct an expression, I can play around in interactive
mode (tclsh) until it works.

Resist, resist!

Go on, tell me that Perl can work like this too, but nobody told me :-)

Perl can do anything :)

I do that in Perl all the time; invoke Perl at the command line and
press ctrl-d when you are done with your expression to see how it
evaluates.

Alternatively, type `perl' followed by the expression if it is a
one-liner.

If you find this way of working useful, Python makes quite a big deal
out of its interactive mode, which alerts you of invalid statements
as you go along. (It also has loads of fabby modules to play with).

MB