Re: [LUG] python -> browser and X problem

Adrian Midgley wrote:

X running across network.

I am very impressed with how that works, once one gets the knack of it.

It's all a bit old hat - SUN's were doing it all before I got to
University.

We used a lot of Xterms at the Met Office, using Xdmcp we could
boot the xterm and then connect to the machine of choice,
biggest problem we had was running out of video memory when
handling satellite imagery on x-terms. You either save the
hidden parts of the image (say where Windows overlap) to memory
(Which was expensive then), or you reload it over the network,
but unless you were programming at the X level (Yuck) you
usually made this decision per Xterm, rather than at the
application level.

Security was always a potential issue, but tools like OpenSSH
mean that is less of a problem these days.

The one I did think was neat was SharedX by HP, which allowed
you to hand out one application to multiple networked users
simultaeneously very like NetMeeting does, with the owner
passing mouse and keyboard control around, HP used it on their
training courses. Because it is designed to network, you didn't
suffer from the silly problems Windows sharing apps like
NetMeeting have (i.e. The paper clip is another app, so when he
pops up the sharing users see a fuzzy square on their Window, as
is the Office tool bar).