RE: [LUG] First for PC world!

I don't think the companies you refer to are concerned about you going away
and using illegal copies of an OS.   I think they are more concerned that
their bulk prices are much better if they only sell PCs with windows.   That
goes back to OEM licencing arrangements - in which a nice young man called
Bill calls the shots.

So, this is good.   Not just good because PC World are selling non-M$ PCs but
good because if the OEM stranglehold has been broken other companies will be
able to offer Linux / BeOS or whatever PCs.

(Does this have something to do with Walmart wanting to sell OS-less PCs?)

Paul

===== Original Message From Simon Waters <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> =====
Lee Quick wrote:

Just bought a PC in PCworld which came with linux as its OS!
not a window in sight.

not a bad price either 210 quid without a monitor.

Tell us the spec - have you looked inside? Is it well built?

there was must consternation from the sales guy when i asked
about a laptop and howmuch discount he would give me if he
unbundled windows from the same :)

I've known companies concerned that you might be using illegal
copies of an operating system if you don't want it bundled....
Maybe it is their profit margin they are concerned at. Then
again some shady PC vendors looked at me as if I was an alien
when I asked for my MS licence (I think I got the last licence
pack in that particular shop), but yes that was a while ago.

Last MS OS I bought was DOS, something to do with the Windows
installer objecting to DOS not being preinstalled. Kind of
commercial licencing stuff I try to avoid these days.

Paul Hewson, Postgraduate Statistics Student (part-time)
School of Mathematical Sciences, Laver Building,
University of Exeter, North Park Road, EXETER  EX4 4QE, U.K.

tel:   +44 1392 382773 fax: +44 1392 382135
email: P.J.Hewson@xxxxxxxxxxxx