Re: [LUG] Simian evolution on redhat 7.0?

On 04-Mar-2002 at 16:44:57 Simon Waters wrote:
John Horne wrote:
*IF* I can get evolution working without *too*
much hassle then I may well just buy it myself and run it at work.

Surely the goal should be to deploy a free Calendar server
alongside an IMAP server, and then junk Outlook/Exchange. I mean
it is not as though Outlook isn't responsible for more and
costlier security problems than almost any other piece of
software (Except perhaps IIS), and there is little sign of it
getting much better given the recent buffer overflow problems
announced.

Hmm, you don't work for the University do you? I am amazed I am *still*
allowed to run linux on my desktop - ableit that I'm the only one. We
*still* have Sun boxes running Solaris which provide the central services -
dns, mail, internal web server (and the business school provide a unix news
server). However, the 'management' insist that we should be running
Microsoft for pretty much everything. In the light of that I'm surprised I
still even have a job here! Because I have been told that I 'have' to have
access to the Exchange server for mail (etc), so I have to have a separate
PC alongside my linux one. It's well and truely daft.

John.

PS - All comments are my own and not the University's :-)