[LUG] kernel initrd problems

I've been recompiling kernels to get support for the
onboard RAID controller (HPT372)on my mobo(IWILL XP333R)
and have got the kernel to recognise the controller and the
drives off of it. The problem comes when the kernel is
executing the initrd (i think) and is starting the prcesses
defined in the run level (5), it says it cannot find loads
of services (ssh etc) and then crashes out saying no more
processes present in the initrd ??. Even though the initrd
is same that is used for another 2.4 kernel and all the
processes are found fine ?
Any pointers would be much appreciated, the distro is SuSE
7.1 if that helps and the kernel source is the 2.4 kernel
source from the distro cd's.
Cheers