Re: [LUG] Kppp and pppd - differences?

On 26-Feb-2002 at 15:40:47 Simon Waters wrote:
John Horne wrote:
atz
modem reset ?!

Yup.

OK
atl0
......No idea....?

Modem volume level 0 - which doesn't mean off :-) That's an 'ell' in there
btw, not a one.

OK
ATDT1430845-6389891
Is 143 on of those cheapo telecom companies?

Yup.

Are they really cheaper for 0845?

I've only just joined so until my next phone bill I can't really say. I used
to use freenet (0845) over a BT line - so I paid BT for the calls but
nothing to the ISP. That's okay but I'm using the Internet more, and long
downloads were obviously starting to cost a bit. The idea here is that I pay
#7 a month (#21 a quarter) to the ISP for unlimited Internet access. I pay
nothing to BT, except the line rental. In that respect I should get back my
low-user rebate again as well (I hope; I think). Considering I was paying
more than #21 a quarter to BT, without the long downloads, it seemed a good
deal to join this ISP.

But the methodical approach is to switch on debugging in kppp,
and rip the options being passed to pppd from the log.

Can't remember a 'debugging' switch but I'll look. I have no objection to
using kppp, its just that when I first got the modem I used pppd via scripts
and stuck with it since then.

John.