[LUG] partition image

I was rereading some back issues of Linux Format and
came across "partimage" on the cover cd. Although it
was given no great fanfare I have found it one of the
most useful pieces of software available. For those
who aren't aware of it it copies or reinstalls disc
partitions with or without various levels of
compression and allows the image to be spilt into bite
sized pieces for ZIP drives, CD's and even floppies.
Raw images allow a rescue pair of floppies to be made
(I used rawrite with no problems) and rescue cd.
I have a peculiar problem with Windows, Win98 ran for
months until I reinstalled (can't remember why) it
then wouldn't run except in 'safe mode'. Eventually
reverted to Win95. Tried again but used partimage to
copy relevant partitions beforehand. Just as well
-similar level of response to Win98. Ran partimage &
reinstalled existing setup without having to reinstall
Widows & all other software & hardware. Took about one
hour to reinstall 2Gb partition compressed with gzip
to about 1.8Gb (probably not worth the slow down of
compression but it was the default).
Hope this time & maybe data saver can be of use to
others.

Trevor Sansom