Re: [LUG] funded project, doctors need communication system

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Requirements
---------------------
The LMC wants to be able to run a threaded discussion protected by password
security.
In my view the connections should use SSL/ssh or similar security, since
matters discussed might touch on patient information that would allow
inference attacks, and also since NHS sysadmins should not be tempted to
allow anyone access to such streams of information.

Would a private newsgroup server meet the threaded discussion
need? It would thus not mandate any specific client, and
possibly a web interface could be made available for those
unwilling to use a news client.

Archiving requirements?

The population involved is technically inept, time-pressured, irritable, bad
at typing.  IE this thing needs to be pretty simple.

The term "Users" will do.

Further to that, I see a need for a collaborative document preparation,
manual updating and generally holding easily-alterable pages in common.  THis
is not the immediate need but should be considered.

I'm a tad unclear as to whether this include connectivity
issues, i.e. do you want a bank of modems included in the work,
would it be expected to run on the same server etc. Or were you
expecting an Internet connectivity based solution? i.e. These
systems already dial into the Internet but are firewalled.

Collaborative document work, like a Wiki, or like version
control and workflow (such as Lotus Notes).

Notes also does threaded discussions, but it wasn't easy to use,
or terribly good last time I looked. I think it supports NNTP.

Anyway sounds interesting to me, I need more clients South and
West of Swindon. Clients in Wales, London and Lincoln are all
well and good, but it doesn't half put the mileage up.