Re: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

Mike Callaghan wrote:

That's interesting as I had exactly the same feelings ... but reversed.
I found I spent much more time building DB-based apps in VB than in
Access. And as for printing sensible reports ...

Hmm reports always are a pain - we had Crystal Reports objects
for VB, so someone who had mastered Crystal was writing the
reports, but integrating the objects was remarkably painful for
the poor developer concerned.

I know Access isn't ideal, doesn't comply fully with standards, has size
limitations etc but it is common, it does what I need and it's suitable
for the size of firms that I deal with.

The whole model with Access make me nervous. I've deployed small
systems with it, but not on my recommendation, with the
exception of one lightly used deadfiling system (What was it
that Dilbert cartoon said about archives - "the job got a lot
easier when I realised no one ever asks for anything back").

The thing that makes me nervous is the mix of client server, the
security, the locking. It is a tribute to the code quality that
the JetDB engine scales as well as it does given the
architecture.....

But I shall still look at the Linux alternatives, especially now that so
many of you have been able to give me some pointers to some pretty front
ends.

One of the reasons we deployed JetDB based solution for
deadfiling was the infrastructure already deployed - NT server
etc. I'd be nervous running JetDB off samba, so if your
deploying Linux servers seems to make sense to use PostgreSQL
for bespoke databases (unless you've already bought Oracle coz
your business apps don't support PostgreSQL.

--
Open Source Software Day at Exeter University Saturday 27th
April 2002