[LUG] SUSE 7.3

Hi

I am having a few probs with a simple network,  which I think has something
to do with the suse firewall configuration

Current set up

Laptop with ip 192.168.0.2 subnet 255.255.255.0
Desktop with ip 192.168.0.1 subnet 255.255.255.0

I have suse 7.3 on both and they are connected together via a hub,

I can - use ping from both computers and get a response,  If I am right ping
sends 32 bytes and gets 64 bytes back,  i.e the 32 it sent then the 32 from
the other computer + what it sent originally added together.

If I use nslookup from the laptop I get the following response

nslookup 192.168.0.1
can't find - no response from server

using telnet I get refused a connection - this ties up with a firewall
setting,  but I don't really want people telnetting into my computer so I
will leave this,  however being able to telnet from a computer on the
network could be handy incase of system crash or something.

As the point of the network at present is to install software across from
the cd drive on the desktop as the laptop refuses to read the disks,  (this
seems to be a known problems with newer drives, and cd recordables) but as
there is a way round it,  I can use that.

I tell the change install location that the other computer is 192.168.0.1,
and enter a path (this bit could be wrong).

But I get the following message

mount;  RPC; unable to recieve;
errorno=
connection refused,

I am guessing that getting a path wrong will not cause this,  but the
firewall is somehow preventing me from gaining access to the desktop via the
network.  So solve that and it makes life a little easier.

The program dealing with this seems to suggest the machine I am installing
from should be a NFS server,  (Network File System).   Which seems logical,

At least I have LinNeighborhood on both computers,  which should make life a
little easier.  as I can look at two windows which at least look the same,
so I will know what I am looking for.

I cases above I am logged in as root on both computers,  at least this way I
can run stuff and I remove some of the restrictions.

Does anyone have any ideas please.

Thanks

I have a work around which is not ideal but to be the above should work
properly,

At present I have been installing via console or one of the rpm package
managers,  then using the menu editor to put any apps on the menu, only this
is not working,  as what is on the list does not completly match up with
what is actually on the menu,  i.e under office, on the actual menu there
are sub folders, in the menu app there is just a list of programs,
according to that LinNeighborhood and abiword are there but I can't find
them.   This is just a pain,  but I can put shortcuts on the desktop and
play around with this.