Re: [LUG] Cryptonomicon and 6 times overwriting

On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, Simon Waters wrote:

Adrian Midgley wrote:

Short of encrypting the filestore, just arranging that gone is _gone_ would
be a useful thing.

Encrypting the file system is easy in Linux, SuSe include the
encrypted file system, you just say you want it encrypted. You
may also want to look at where temporary data is stored /tmp,
/var/tmp, $TMP $TMP_DIR etc.

Usually to extract any useful information from empty blocks you
need root access, I suspect there are probably ways of grabbing
some "empty" disk space as a non-root user without zeroing it,
whether you can do so meaningfully is an interesting question.

Overwriting data 6 fold is way over the top for most data, it
was suggested that the millitary intelligence groups do such
things, but I've only ever heard of them using hammers and
incinerators to deal with redundant electronic systems with
sensitive data. Which do you think makes more sense?

Yeah, the military do take thes precautions. I used to be part of a 3500
machine rollout. they went from Win 3.11 on 486/596's to P2 300 (biggest
at that time) frequestly still using Win 3.11 !(god only knows why)

But as part of the data security procedures we had to run a program that
did the following... removed the partition, re-created it, formatted the
drive, write 0', then 1's.. 2's.. 3's.. anything up to 32 times..

Once all machines were "clean" they were then passed to local schools... i
wander if they installed linux 1st ??? hmmm....

Neil Stone