Re: [LUG] anyone out there?

On Sunday 27 January 2002 6:17 pm, Alex Stanley wrote:
this list seems to have stopped entirely.

Has it?  I've had countless LUG mails today...

anyway, i'm looking for a nice, cheap laptop to run windows (95 probably)
and linux on.

Check out www.linux-laptops.net first - and get yourself a decent model.
Don't go for old hardware - it probably won't cope well, especially if you
try X - and stay away from models like the Advent (mine) which is suffering
perennial problems with RedHat 7.2. I did have problems with Mandrake 8.0 and
8.1, but mainly with installation. RH is crashing the machine even after it's
been running OK for a while! Again, it seems to be the hard disc power
management controls that cause a flicker in the touchpad (!!) and then havoc
with the X server. Oops.

something around pentium 233 with 32mb ram and a reasonable hard disk
would be ideal.
anyone got any suggestions?

Dual-boot - depends on what you're doing with it, but my 4Gb laptop is
beginning to get filled up.

--

Neil Williams