[LUG] FWD: One Operating System

I had this sent to me and i just couldn't resist sending it here...

Neil

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recently one of my friends, a computer wizard, payed me a visit. As we
were talking I mentioned having recently installed Windows 98 on my PC
and that I am very happy with this operating system. I also showed him
the Windows 98 CD, to my surprise he threw it into my micro-wave oven
and turned on the oven. Instantly I got very upset, because the CD had
become precious to me, but he said:

'Do not worry, it is unharmed.'

After a few minutes he took the CD out, gave it to me and said: 'Take a
close look at it.' To my surprise the CD was quite cold to hold and it
seemed to be heavier than before. At first I could not see anything, but
then on the inner edge of the central hole I saw an inscription; an
inscription finer than anything I have ever seen before. The
inscription shone piercingly bright, and yet remote, as if out of a
great depth:

4F6E65204F5320746F2072756C65207468656D20616C6C2C204F6E65204F5320746
F2066696E64207468656D2CDA4F6E65204F5320746F206272696E67207468656D20
616C6C20616E6420696E20746865206461726B6E6573732062696E64207468656D

'I cannot understand the fiery letters,' I said.

'No,' he said 'but I can. The letters are Hex, of an ancient mode, but
the language is that of Microsoft, which I shall not utter here.
But in common English this is what it says:

"Three OS's from corporate kings in their towers of glass,
Seven from valley lords where orchards used to grow,
Nine from dotcoms doomed to die,
One from the Dark Lord Gates on his dark throne
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie.
One OS to rule them all, one OS to find them,
One OS to bring them all and in the darkness bind them,
In the Land of Redmond where the Shadows lie."

Warning: Do not try this at home, less you want to face a Microsoft
Foundation Class Balrog.

Credits: Thanks to J.R.R. Tolkien and Bill Gates for making this possible.

Special thanks to Larry Wells for providing ascii-codes.