Re: [LUG] GCC compilation?

Neil Williams wrote:

If only because C++ helped me write smaller, faster code. A lesson obviously
missed from the Microsoft version.

Hmm - there are some good commentaries on reverse engineering of
Microsoft bloat on the web. Their abuses of C++ including the
STL get a mention.

I'm missing some gcc commands because I get

My guess is your missing the "g++" command.

31kb seems a lot for such a simple console program. Is KDevelop bloating the
program?

I doubt it.

Can a command line gcc hack reduce the filesize?

s/gcc/g++/

"g++ -Os" seems to help a bit on my example.

Probably lots of others.

After all, program functionality doesn't come much smaller than the above.

strip a.out (Should lose 20K), but C++ does bloat stuff a little
over C. In VB4 it would be about 1.4MB.

I still remember programming for a pure DOS environment (i.e. prior to MS-DOS
6) and getting a program to compile to within 64kb. An artificial and
frustrating limitation, but a useful challenge nonetheless.

1K Chess on the ZX81 still holds everyones respect, I loved the
way you had to switch the tape over to get it to play P-Q4
instead of P-K4.

Does anyone use assembly code still?

Of course, lots of Chess programmers, and a guy at the European
Weather forecasting place had a full time job optimising fast
fourier transform in various supercomputer assembler languages.

I understand the "need for speed", but mostly being bug free is
far more important than being fast (Even in weather
forecasting!).

(!!) Would assembly code written for the
PC function independent of the OS? Are INT's handled the same way (after all,
we're talking hardware controllers here, not OS, aren't we? Or does this only
work in real (DOS) mode and not in a 32bit environment?) (Can you tell I
didn't do a computer related degree!!)

I leave that to our kernel hackers to explain - I try to avoid
getting below the layers of hardware abstractions.

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ? www.eighth-layer.com
Tel: +44(0)1395 232769      ICQ: 116952768