Re: [LUG] budget motherboards for AMD

On 16-Jan-2002 at 11:00:11 Chris Edwards wrote:
does anyone have any recommendations or recent experience of buying a
budget motherboard for AMD (Duron most likely, for an all new box but
keeping the old monitor, mouse etc). Hoping to keep the overall cost down
to about #300.

Currently I am tending towards a Gigabyte GA-71XE as it has lots of PCI
slots and 1 ISA and costs about #50 inc VAT.

I have a gigabyte board with my duron 700. Not sure of the model (its at
home; 7ZX I think), but I got it a couple of years ago. I have had no
problems with it at all, but I did buy a second cpu fan since the duron
gives off a fair bit of heat - probably nothing compared to the gigahertz
ones nowadays! However, I used to read the gigabyte newsgroup as well, and
quite a few people did have problems and got little support. The UK gigabyte
site was horrendous and well out of date. However, someone picked up on this
and seemdd to be pulling it all back together again - updated the site,
replied to users problems, etc, etc. In that respect support from gigabyte
may be much better now. Will add that I've had no problems with the on-board
sound card (ensoniq 1371 ?) either.

I have no previous experience putting a box together, but have checked out
various sites for linux compatibility.

I have built all my PC's from bits since I started home computing.
Personally I like to pick out the bits I want and glue them together rather
than buying a pre-built box. It may/may not cost more, but I get what I
want. Needless to say if I break something then it's my fault and I have to
sort it out. Worst case was buying a motherboard which arrived with no cache
memory. Took me a while to work out why the thing was dead as a dodo!! :-)

John.