Re: [LUG] Text bridging

hi paul,

not sure RE scanning and OCR on linux - but if you do get the text in you can use openoffice 6 to save the document in MS office formats - including office 2000/XP. someone - parent or teacher must have a scanner/PC from tiny type package and the OCR software i've seen with a windows computer worked fine,

kev

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

I am not sure if Linux can provide a solution here,

The ict co - ordinator at the school where I am working has lost some term
lesson plans due to a virus,  etc,  To solve the situation the idea was for
me to use text bridge and a scanner to scan the hard copies in and save in
word doc format,

I went in this afternoon to see the technician about how to use textbridge
but he was busy. However According to the ict co-ordinator it is not
possible having asked the technician  to do this as the documents are in
landscape format and due to a problem with the textbridge software it's not
possible to scan landscape documents.  .

I can retype the documents no problem but thought there must be a solution
and a way round this given the number of conversion utilities available
using linux,  or most operating system,  but linux seems to have loads of
useful utils for this type of thing.

Does anyone know of any solutions,

In the meantime I will have a look at what is available with Linux,  but any
ideas would be a great help,

thanks

Paul Sutton