Re: [LUG] Changed permissions of entire system

if you were near the top of the directory tree then i think you have hosed the system. file ownership is pretty important to how the system works and also for security. either restore from any backup, or save your personal data somewhere and reinstall,

sorry i can't think of anything else,

kev

kj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I very stupidly managed to do
chown user:[username] .* -R
earlier as root and managed to change the file permissions of most of my system before i realised exactly what i had done.
I can log in as root but pppd complains about permissions and i cannot su from my user account.
Is there an easy way to put this right as i have Win4Lin etc installed and to reinstall from scratch would take an age