Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properly.

also suggest getting a BIG book - i.e. red hat bible etc. they usually come with the corresponding version of linux on a CD inside the cover.

removable drives are useful - that way you can have one drive you are trying to set up properly - and you can use another drive for experimenting on.

i found red hat and mandrake good for learning from - but if possible try to use debian as soon as poss - not only is the package managment far superior - but the install is cleaner and all the applications are ususally more reliable.

kev

Matt Lee wrote:

Hey people,

I've mucked around with linux for far too long, I really want to learn it
properly. To begin with, I'll install it under VMWare until I'm happy with
it. Would this be the right place for me to ask for help and tips?

I've got Suse 6.3 and Mandrake 8.0. I was going to install Mandrake 8.0, is
this the right choice? I could pick up something better if needed.

Many thanks,

Matt