Re: [LUG] a mail interceptor project

Adrian Midgley wrote:

This looks useful

http://jeffcovey.net/linux/email-conversion.html
The last paragraph makes me wonder if putting that together and offering it
to businesses around here might be a viable business.  It could all run in a
box, with the messages going on to be handled on any well-known operating
system and multi-functional mail software that people felt they understood.

Where do you see the market for it?

Converting files formats is a pain, but I'm not sure this sort
of thing is better than just lets the end users either educate
each other or convert it themselves.

Presumably you'd have to identify formats each business could
handle, and those they couldn't. Then filter from one to other?

I use to provide a similar service in the days when MS Office
was far less dominant for my users at the Met office (Oh the
joys of uuencode, bin2hex, Word Perfect, and a thousand other
formats and encodings......), but that was done partly manually
partly automated (I maintained lists of preferences for each
recipient in my mailer - they sent me problem files - and I just
sent them back again - the mailer figured out the conversions -
good old Applixware).

There are already quite a few people in the anti-Spam,
anti-Virus, your e-mail for you business, which I can see a
market for, but I'm not sure about file conversion.

Put another way - what is it worth to you?