Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properly.

Matt Lee wrote:

Does anyone on the list have experience with Linux on a Mac? I was thinking
that maybe I'll buy a Mac, and run OS/X and Linux, and then run Virtual PC
under OS/X for the occasional bit of Windows and OS/2 Warp.

I own a Mac clone (Motorola StarMax 3000/200) that used to run MacOS,
because I didn't like Windoze. I initially thought this was a nice idea
until I started programming for MacOS. Luckily I then discovered
LinuxPPC and installed it on my StarMax.

Because Linux runs on a PC this was my next choice. Now I run Linux on
an AMD Athlon. I have YellowDog Linux from this months Linux Format mag,
but it doesn't install on my StarMax. I have previously installed
LinuxPPC1999 successfully.

I am quite happy with Linux on my AMD and its very stable, so I would
personally choose not to by another Mac.

One problem I did have was with a PCI network card in my StarMax, the
ne2k-pci kernel module had an endian problem which I fixed. But this was
from an old kernel.

Andrew Rogers