Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properly.

Quoting Steve Marvell <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I'll stand up and say "Redhat for newbies, Debian for pros". I used to
be a Suse fan, but it's got on my nerves. Am I right in thinking that
Mandrake is an optimised Redhat?

I've yet to try Debian, however I've heard and seen of it, there are some very
good things about it. (It's on my play with list next)

Mandrake is very much like Redhat, except it's seems to have a excellent rock
solid installer, which I recommended to any newbie to Linux.  Also Mandrake CPU
requirements is a Pentium class CPU or better, so anyone with 386 and 486 -
sorry, as all the packages are compiled to take advantage of the extra stuff in
the CPU.

I sugguest you grab Mandrake, play/break it for a while, and move on upto
Debian.

Pete Hatton