Re: [LUG] Wanting to really put an effort to learn Linux properl

Hello Matt

I've mucked around with linux for far too long, I really want to
learn it properly. To begin with, I'll install it under VMWare until
I'm happy with it. Would this be the right place for me to ask for
help and tips?

This is the place.

I have been putting a large amount of effort into becoming fully
competent with the GNU tools for about a year.  In this time I have
read most of the common books (Running Linux etc).

This Christmas, Mrs. Browning bought me a copy of ORA's 'LPI Linux
Certification in a Nutshell'.  This was intended as a practical
joke to comment on the shockingly dull nature of my obsession but it
is a fantastic book (i.e. definitely the best I have seen) and I
fully recommend it if you are serious about the CLI stuff.  (NB. it
is essentially the relevant man pages formatted for easy reading with
a helpful commentary).

If you, or anyone, is interested in subsequently sitting the exam I
have located a testing centre in Exeter and plan to do it in March.
If feel that I would benefit from having someone else doing it at the
same time to 'compare notes' with.

Any thoughts?
MB