Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools

I think Linux in schools is a great idea. As I happen
to be sitting in one of said establishments at the
moment, I've come to the conclusion that it is
possible, as the two main arguments against it seem to
be that a)Its too difficult for the pupils to use and
b)there isn't sufficient software, e.g. office suites,
etc.
In answer to a, i'd say it's only as hard as you make
it, it shouldn't really be any more difficult to teach
'em the basics that it would be with Windows, in all
honesty (my 11 year old brother can cope...). Also in
answer to b, i'd say that pupils needs for software
aren't that great, a fairly basic word processor and
spreadsheet should do evem most a-level pupils, as
most of 'em don't even know how to use the software
they've got properly! My one reservation is that i
can't find a spreadsheet with a decent chart function
(i.e. scatter graph with a facility for drawing a best
fit/trend line - and ideas for this would be most
appreciated (i've tried gnumeric and Ksheet)). Other
that that there are the cost and security implications
which would be very important to most schools, plus
the stability factor (of the 16 computers in the room
i'm in now, about 50% are unusable as they are so
unstable, it's impossible to do anything at all
without them crashing - but thats windows 95 for you
(plus all of the abuse they get)).
In general its a very good idea, however most schools
are reluctant to stray from the path they know and
(mistakenly, imho) trust, i.e. microsoft.

Luc Hands

=====