Re: [LUG] Re: Cannot ./configure permission denied

Hi there

don't like to see someone stuck!

Could you provide some details

i think you said you're running SUSE 7.1 - is this right and is it on a
standalone machine?

Who have you logged in as?

What answer do you get to
$whoami

go to the root directory by
$cd /

and type
$ls -l

what is the output?

Go into /tmp and create a new directory
$cd /tmp
$mkdir test_configure

what does
$ls -l
give now

copy the file into this new directory
$cp [path/file] /tmp/test_configure

move into this directory
$cd /tmp/test_configure

what does
$ls -l
give now

now try to unpack the file - use the full name - remember *.* is an MS
convention and does not necessarily work in the same way on UNIX.

Send the output

also,

what is the name of the file - where did you get it - one of us could
refetch it and try it out ourselves.

what does
$umask
return

where did you get the archive file from?

If you downloaded it are you sure it finished properly?

try downloading it again?

Have you had any errors with your PC - crashes etc.

have you rebooted without shutting down first

also

what does

df -h

give you

this should show your partitions and space available.

Try these commands in a shell and then cut and paste the results - the
whole lot at once if poss - into an email

you can normally cut from a terminal by selecting all the text - just
drag your mouse over it with the left button down - and then doubleclick
in your email.

As a last resort post up the area you live in and i'm sure someone would
offer to pop in to help

most importantly - if you find the answer let us know what it was

good luck

kev

On 11/29/01, 1:23:01 PM, Neil Stone <Neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote regarding