Re: [LUG] Re: Cannot ./configure permission denied

Try going back to basics:

Untar the archive with tar -xzf foo.tar.gz
Untar the archive as a regular user, not root.
Make sure you're untarring the data onto an ext2 or ext3 partition -
msdos/vfat/ntfs partitions won't support all the attributes required.

Run ./configure as a regular user.  Run make as a regular user.  Run make
install as root, if that's what is required.

See how that works :)

J.

On Thu, 29 Nov 2001, Kelly Jones wrote:

> when i unpack the archive from the command line i get errors from all of the
> files in that directory
> cannot change ownership to UID 1000, gid 104: Operation not permitted
> cannot change mode to rwxr-sr-x: Operation not permitted
>

> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 19:26, you wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 06:26:12PM +0000, kj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> > > I still cannot execute the script, same error.
> >
> > OK, from the top.
> >
> > What mechanism did you use to to become SuperUser?
> >
> > Presuming this is a tar you've got this from, remove the untarred
> > version and start from scratch. Let's have a transcript (stdout and
> > stderr) of what happens here:
> >
> > uname -a
> > id
> > set
> > df
> > mount
> > cd <directory with tar in it>
> > pwd
> > ls -ld . ..
> > rm -rf <theolddirectory> # start afresh
> > tar zxf thingy.tar.gz # or however you're untarring it
> > ls -ld <newdirectory>
> > cd <newdirectory>
> > ls -l README* INSTALL Imakefile* Makefile* configure
> > ../configure
> >
> > Have I missed anything?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --

Jon Still                               E-mail: jon@xxxxxxxxxxx
System Administrator                    Web:    http://www.tertial.org/
tertial.org                             Tel:    +44 (0)7977 066087