[LUG] /var/run file permissions

I've upgraded from Mandrake 7.2 to 8.1 and some of the services that start at
boot time have gone badly wrong.

e.g. Webmin runs OK, but fails to create a webmin.pid file in /var/run so
linuxconf keeps saying it isn't running and trying to start it. (And of
course fails.)

More importantly, named can't create a file in /var/run either, but that
stops named from running at ALL so the rest of the network cannot connect to
the internet.

I have to chmod 777 /var/run and start named manually.

Then when I run linuxconf etc later, it changes /var/run back to 755!

All other tasks are running OK and writing files to /var/run OK, so what's
wrong with the config of S55named@ and S90webmin@ ? I can see no difference
in the file permissions of the linked files in init.d

Where do I start looking for the problems?

--

Neil Williams