[LUG] plip

My attempts to connect my laptop & desktop computers,
for file exchange through the parallel ports, is
progressing. I have established that the connection is

possible by using Window cable to cable connection
succesfully & would save myself any further hassel if
this did not truncate linux filenames when transfering
from a CD rom.

I am using Peanut linux  (which I believe is based on
Slakware) on both machines. Plip is installed as a
module.
/etc/hosts/ has
	192.168.0.1	target
	192.168.0.2	source
on both machines.
Then:-
	# ifconfig plip0 source pointopoint target netmask
255.255.225.255 up
	on desktop
	# ifconfig plip0 target pointopoint source netmask
255.255.255,255 up
	on laptop
ifconfig shows plip0 OK but ping from one to another
gets 100% packet loss.
Telnet also fails to open a connection. The RTFM
approach has been tried until my fingers bled & my
brain exploded. I feel that I've made a leap but not
yet a quatum one. Any help would be highly
appreciated.

Trevor Sansom