Re: [LUG] Resource sought

MATTHEW BROWNING wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of a good online resource
> concerning ways to combat (i.e. not execute) 802.11 security
> breaches?

There is a Yahoo group who discuss Wireless security, mostly
from a standards perspective.

SecureWLANs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Not big traffic but some knowledgable people.

CISCO offer a bespoke solution as do some other vendors.

For Linux only networks you may be able to use FreeSWAN on
demand encryption. IPSec would seem the way to go even without
such niceities.

Disabling the encryption may not be a good move, it is still
"challenging" to break the encryption, and makes every other
attack that much harder, and doesn't slow things down noticably
in my experience.

Be warned there are some really neat hacking tools which unless
you properly isolate the access point from the LAN (Thats what
DMZ's are for), will let you redirect LAN to LAN traffic via the
airwaves, and other joyous attacks.

Also look out to reference to Access Point impersonation
attacks.