RE: [LUG] fileserving..

> I am intending to use SUSE to act a a fileserver for a home network of 4
> Win98 boxes.

Why not just convert the whole lot to linux ????

Cos the kids learn Microsoft at school and turning them into into Linux
advocates at their age is not likely to help them with their education.

> I want to give each user a space of approx 3 gigs and will also
> probably try to make a dos batch file which will mirror their win 'my docs
> folders within this space during client startup.

Why not just locate their "my documents" folder on their "home" drive... and
mount it as H: ?? this is exactly how i work it... works a dream...

Well, I want this to work as a backup - not as a one copy only server.

> Q: As these will mainly be win32 mirrors, is it sensible to make
> 4 separate _fat_ partitions on my linux box - instead of ext2
> partitions for each user.

Or you could just quota each user a set ammount !!

> Q2: If ext2 is a better or safer option, will this file system
> complicate my intended folder mirroring or any subsequent
> auto-backup proces I might choose for these win98 boxes?

Nope, just remember what Alex mentioned.. i had the same experiance...
oops...

> Any other pointers?

Thanks for the answers, and the other stuff.