[LUG] Essential config files

I'm looking for a list of essential config files that will allow me to
install one of a few selected distros on a machine and then automate some of
the final stages of configuration -
1. adding hosts info,
2. making sure that Webmin, Apache, Samba, ftpd and telnetd are all started
automatically,
3. configuring Apache to use the codehelp site as default and the DCLUG site
as a virtual server,
4. use the network gateway,
5. setting up user preferences like background, screensaver, a few System
Notification sounds,
6. a few KDE bookmarks and Netscape 4.7+6 bookmarks.
7. configuring Samba (share home folders and access network printer only),

Webmin, ftp, telnet and Apache are the most vital. With these running, most
of the others can be configured remotely.

What other files am I going to need to backup to change a default
installation into a pre-configured one?

So far:
/etc/X11/XF86config
(more for reference than to actually overwrite the installed one, although
I've had to do that before now.)
/etc/host.conf
/etc/hosts
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
/etc/init.d/webmin
/etc/init.d/httpd
/etc/init.d/xinetd
/etc/smb.conf
/etc/smbpasswd
/etc/smbusers

Some of these can simply be copied over the install default ones although I
don't know about the init.d ones.

Presumably I'll need ~/.kderc and some from ~/kde/ too.

What dictates whether telnet and ftp start? /etc/init.d/xinetd doesn't
contain any explicit references to telnet or ftp on this machine.

I'll also include a tarball of the codehelp and dclug sites so that there's
some content for httpd to chew on.

This would all then go on a CD-RW - along with any extra RPM's needed, like
v0.87 of Webmin as Mandrake 7.2 ships with 0.80 and Mandrake 8.0 with v0.84,
updating the CD-RW as needed using another machine.

Distros to try would then be Suse, RedHat, and later versions of Mandrake
(7.2 and 8.0 already tried - review to follow when I've finished).

--

Neil Williams