Re: [LUG] NIC - full or half duplex?

> > On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, John Horne wrote:
> >

> > On the other hand in a switched environment there can be no collisions, so
> > you can send and receive data willy-nilly.
>

> In that case, a 2 node crossover cable should work. A hub might work with 2 nodes, but only if the hub supports it (is that right)?

You might have to explicitally configure the cards to full duplex with a point
to point link. I can't recall off hand how the auto negotiation works.

In the case of a hub it can't "support" it since it's more or less a passive
device. (Though some hubs will do full duplex on their uplink ports.) So
again you'd need to manually configure.

Unless you need to go more that 100m using a hub is a waste of time anyway,
since a spool of cable will cost you less than even the smallest 100M
hub.

> I just know my fully switched 100mbit full duplex home network is great :)
>
> BTW - does 100mbit ethernet use all the wires in a cat 5 cable?

There is a varient which uses all 4 pairs, but I've never seen it.

Anything which is duel speed, IME, uses the same 2 pairs as 10M.