Re: [LUG] ping -R

Tom Laithwaite wrote:

Does Linux have a command similar to 'tracert' in DOS? the nearest I can find
is 'ping -R' which doesn't work that well when the host you ping doesn't seem to exist, or the packets go three times round the world.

Try traceroute.

This is part of my attempt to solve a connection problem mentioned a ~week ago. I've tracked it down to a router that routes me to thin air, has anyone had this happen to them? how many misconfigured routers are there?

I do not recall the original post. Can you re-enlighten me (off list is fine I do not want to clogg up the list because I cannot remember the original post!) As to things seeming not to be there, lots of firewalls will block or drop ping requests (amongst other ICMP packets) anyway, could you be trying to connect to one of these?

Best Wishes
-James

--
James Wenger