Re: [LUG] Famous Linux people && Exeter

Paul Weaver wrote:

> Apparently "He [Simon] studied Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics at
> Exeter University, where he discovered the Internet in 1987 [...]"
>
> You learn something every day ;)

I'm flattered to be listed as a famous Linux person - notorious
locally perhaps.

Studied ... hmm that might be marketing speak but the bit about
the Internet is true, it was lurking on the fringes of the
academic computing networks waiting to be found. See it wasn't
invented by Al Gore it was there all along.

It wasn't Internet protocol at first (at least not till you got
to Princeton), but they fixed that in the vacation. I did
briefly associate with some curious characters in Aberystwyth
Uni whilst an undergraduate. These characters might loosely be
described as friends of Alan Cox, but I only met the man himself
in cyberspace as even then he was in Swansea. Of course then he
mostly wrote adventure games, and called himself "Cardboard
box", I don't know how many arms or heads he had.