Re: [LUG] DNS

Jon Still wrote:

> Quick question about DNS:
>
> I want to add a subdomain in a separate zone.  What do I need to do?

Approach looks right.

> So far I have:
>
> File db.foo.org:
>
> $ORIGIN foo.org.

BIND does an implicit $ORIGIN at the start of each zone
file. So these look untidy to me eyes, but hey thats
cosmetic.

> $TTL 6h
> ;
> @                       IN      SOA     ns.foo.org. postmaster.foo.org. (
>                                 2001072401      ; serial
>                                 1h              ; refresh
>                                 30m             ; retry
>                                 7d              ; expiration
>                                 1h )            ; minimum

The last field in the SOA is negative cache time to live. An
hour seems generous, the old default was 10 minutes. This
field has changed meaning around the BIND 8.1 days.

>                         IN      NS      ns.foo.org.
> subdomain.foo.org.      IN      NS      ns.foo.org.
>
> <usual crap>
>
> ----
>
> File db.subdomain.foo.org:
> $ORIGIN subdomain.foo.org.
> $TTL 6h
> ;
> @                       IN      SOA     ns.foo.org. postmaster.foo.org. (
>                                 2001072401      ; serial
>                                 1h              ; refresh
>                                 30m             ; retry
>                                 7d              ; expiration
>                                 1h )            ; minimum
> ;
>                         IN      NS      ns.foo.org.
>
> wop                     IN      A       192.168.1.1
>
> While this seems to work I want to make sure I'm delegating correctly.  Have
> I missed anything out?

A second name server for the domain is missing *8-)

Also plenty of tools on the DNS resource site can check your
delegation and zone files. Try "doc" and "nslint" for
starters.