[LUG] Re: Realtek RTL8139 10/100 PCI Ethernet Module Compile Prob's

Yes thanks for that after visiting SuSE's support site very early this morning i managed to get the card up and running.
I am now playing around with DHCP and Samba so expect to see more posts from me soon
B/R
Kelly Jones

P.J.Weaver@xxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Kelly Jones wrote:
> > I am using a 2.4 kernel so i assumed i only had to compile the module

You want 8139too, its a later rewrite of the rtl8139 driver. Should be available in the source as a module (modprobe 8139too)

You only had to compile the module in 2.2 - the kernel stuff
is optional, although often I find you need to enable weird
and wonderful option (maybe I do too much weird IP stuff) so
it is safer and easier just to rebuild the kernel at the
same time.

My brief exposure to 2.4 suggested the procedure wasn't much
different, although the source tree lived else where, and as
Alex suggests you need to get the punctuation right.

Paul Weaver
p.j.weaver@xxxxxxxx
Room c210, Moberly, Duryard.

"The problem with this is that we are giving the evil aliens the [dna] of our species. There is the chance, however unlikely, that they might Find a weakness... and exploit it."

"They can't do that, it's illegal under the DMCA!" - /.