Re: [LUG] Realtek RTL8139 10/100 PCI Ethernet Module Compile Prob's

Kelly Jones wrote:

> I hope someone can help, i am not familar with compiling from source and i
> have a Ethernet card (see subject line) which has the necessary Kernel module
> included in Source code "rtl8139.c"

Hi Kelly,

I use the RTL8139 card as a module - the base card was a
10Mbps card not 10/100 AFAIK, but the driver may work with
other/newer cards.

Typically you would build the module from source as part of
the kernel build.

So a "make xconfig" in /usr/src/linux, should give you a
nice GUI interface. I think at 2.2.x this is an experimental
module, so if you find you can't select it, try enabling
experimental code.

If all else fails (?!) vi /usr/src/linux/.config and check
the following line exists and is uncommented.

CONFIG_RTL8139=m

Then you just make the kernel (and/or) modules as normal.
make dep
make modules
make modules-install
make bzImage (if required), and copy System.map and bzImage
as required.

2.4 kernels are slightly different.

If you haven't got all the relevant source code in
/usr/src/linux, I'll mail you a copy of rtl8139.o last built
for 2.2.19 (it may work with other 2.2.x kernels, but you
really want 2.2.19 for it's security fixes).

My modules.conf has an entry "alias eth1 rtl8139", and then
a quick edit of /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
and viola I can "ifup eth1"

--
Are you using the Internet to best effect ?
www.eighth-layer.com