Re: [LUG] shell scripts

Alex Charrett wrote:

> > I was thinking su <password may work,  but would like something more secure,
> > like getting the details from /etc/passwd and passing this on,  save a user
> > having to do it.

Most linux's let you specify that a mount entry in fstab is
runnable by an ordinary user - this is probably worth using
in this case.

Don't even try writing safe setuid scripts - it is a
nightmare - of course if your the only person on the box, or
they all have the root password anyway, it isn't such an
issue, but it is still an issue if wired to the Internet.

Look at tools like sudo for using root permissions to do
things. Of course ideally the OS would just delegate the
minimum functionality necessary for a task...