RE: [LUG] LinuxExpo Day 1

>===== Original Message From list@xxxxxxxxxxxx =====
>I for one found day one of LinuxExpo a tad disappointing.
>
>Still all clouds have a silver lining, and I bumped into
>various Devon and Cornwall LUG members. Although it may have
>been quicker not to go to London for this.

[...]
>A few highlights from day one did catch my attention.....
>IBM has a rather dull exhibit - but a wonderful video of a
>wristwatch running Linux and X Windows... The IBM Research
>logo was very prominent, so It may be a while before this
>one hits Dixons.
>

>From what I saw, it booted up and then ran a watch. Oh. I'm jubious about that
sort of thing personaly.

>It was hot, and Olympia doesn't have (or it wasn't working)
And I was carrying a coat in my bag, just in case! Oh for a pair of shorts and
a shower.

>The Expo registration seems to have gone to pot. Getting
>home I found an e-mail to "Mr Osbourne"<sic> saying "We hope
>you can attend LinuxExpo", which was sent 2 hours after I
>got there and found my registration details weren't on the
>computer, despite having a print out showing them!? But then
>the registration webserver, and the e-mail server for
>LinuxExpo both appear to be running Microsoft operating
>systems......

I had a badge sent to my home (thought they would get suspicious sending it to
the Uni when theres big signs saying "NO STUDENTS", just picked up a badge
holder and went about my merry way.

I liked the borland talks about kylix, and I there was a nice stand with
yellow hubs and switches. Got suckered in to buying alpha centauri from tux
games, but the bag was worth it, it survived an overnight coach journey back
up to mancheser with a couple of heavey boks and stuff in.
I got a free bottle opener from linux magazine too :)

I was impressed by the flashy flat/wide screen displays everywhere (I havent
been to many expos before), but when I went to check some email everyone was
playing AOE2 or something.

Still it was worth gettting up after 3 hours sleep at 5:30AM, coach at 6:30,
victoria at 1:00, 3 hours in olympia, trip up to tower bridge, dinner, and
catch starlight express (best seats in the place (£35), £13.50 with student
card).

1PM coach back to manchester, changing at brum, got back home at 6:45 this
morning.

I'm afriad the great linux debate was overflowing so I couldnt hear anything,
and I never did manage to ask a question about sage alternatives for linux.

Verdict: not a bad day out for £50, even if I went through 5 bottles of £1
mineral water!