Re: [LUG] Cannot start x programs from su terminal?

The problem is that X won't display windows from a remote user. "But I'm logged
in!", you cry. Well, as far as X is concerened, only the user that started the
session is local, everyone else, including a su'd user, is remote. To authorise
a remote user to attach and use the X server, you need to use xhost. Try:

     $ xhost +
     $ su
     % export DISPLAY=:0
     % xcdroast

Where $ is the non-root prompt and % is the (su'd) root prompt. All this should
be executed from a terminal (konsole, xterm, etc) in your current X session.

Be careful though, as xhost + enables ALL remote users to connect to your X
server. Not wise to use, but I don't have a Linux box near me to check the exact
command line. Type 'man xhost' for more information.

Cheers,
Matthew

kj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on 03/07/2001 19:56:35

Please respond to list@xxxxxxxxxxxx