[LUG] OT: WiFi in the Philippines

I dont know if this is of any interest to anybody, but im guessing it may
interest the WiFi community among us, but I have been talking recently to my
contact in the Philippines and he is keen on WiFi / radio internet
technologies. However in the Philippines the state requires you to have a
very expensive license to operate such equipment. He's battling to get some
sort of relaxation or removal of the legislation (im not sure of the
details), but it could be helpful to our schools projects (among others)  to
be able to use such technologies. Here is what he had to say on the subject
"in his own words"

Tom Said:
> P.S I have been lurking on plug for a while now so I am aware of your
interest in WiFi. Keep up the good work on the advocacy side.

My advocacy in PLUG is none compared to what I am trying to do locally.
I am an officer in the local ICT Council and I tried to push for the
issue in WiFi to be discussed. But my efforts have always been blocked
by a Microsoft guy. And that is not the worst. I am more frustrated
with other members of the council who have not voiced out their opinions
at all.

My (Parting) Comments:

I guess we are lucky in this country that we can even entertain free(dom)
use of such technology. It would seem that some places dont have such
freedoms and yes M$ breathing down peoples necks again !

Given recent events in the UN regarding use and opening up of wireless
technologies, and a World Bank rep waxing lyrical about the advantage of
using OSS in developing countries. I want to know for one when the UN are
actually going to put actions in front of their words.

Tom.

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.