Re: [LUG] SMTP servers

On Wednesday 23 July 2003 21:59, you wrote:
> Many ISP's won't allow emails to be sent via their SMTP servers unless the
> user is logged into their own network (i.e. using their PPP connection not
> yours). It won't just be one ISP, it'll be lots. The problem isn't really
> at your end.

Oh I know, I'm accustomed to changing my laptop from blueyonder's smtp to
exeter uni's and back again. It's annoying when It's me, but when its Joe
Bloggs without a clue...

> > Is there anyway to avoid this? I was thinking forwarding all outgoing
> > requests to port 25 to the otenet smtp server. Would that work? Is there
> > a simpler way?
>
> Won't this open you up to spammers?

Any spammer could already use otenet's smtp server, so unless I stopped all
outgoing emails (alienating people), there isnt a technological defence. How
do other hotspots do it? I havent had a wireless card for long, and Luton
airport didnt seem to have one last Saturday. Naturally Lefkas anywhere
doesnt either. I'll be visting Gatwick next week though, may have a play if
they have one.

Steve Wrote:
> Can't you set an smtp server as part of the dhcp negotiation?

Doubtful, how would the OS know to change every email client on the system?
Another way would be changing the domain name for every know smtp host to the
otenet IP address, but thats ugly, breakable, and wont work automatically)

On a similar note, can I stop people connecting to the network if they have a
static address? Had a guy today that had his system set up as 192.168.0.1,
same as the router.